Re: Question on Salome package organization

Hello André and list,

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 15:04 +0200, Andre Espaze wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Now that salome-5.1.3-5 is running, I started a documentation on its
> content and finally found a question on Debian package organization.

The current package organization is a "legacy" system from back when I
first started to package version 3.2.6.  It's really not very good. :-)

> I am aware of my ignorance on Debian package policy,

Debian package policy doesn't require any particular organization, it
just indicates what should be in shared lib, python, etc. packages.

> but I would suggest
> such kind of organization:
>
>     - salome-core (the usual pre and post processings)
>     - salome-core-dev (its development files)
>     - salome-advance (the advanced uses)
>     - salome-advance-dev (its development files)
>     - salome-dev (every module for the Salome developer with
>     development files)
>     - salome-doc (the actual documentation)

I like this organization.  It's something like the transition we did for
Open CASCADE a couple of years ago, led by Jason Kraftcheck and Denis
Barbier. [1]

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/01/msg00013.html

I have a few suggestions:
      * There are a lot of "[T|t]est*" binaries in the salome package.
        It would be good to separate these out into salome-core-test
        etc. packages so one doesn't need to install them along with the
        main binaries.
      * The shared libraries should go in their own packages, such as
        libsalome-core etc.  Because their interface changes with every
        version, they should probably change from the 0.0.0 version
        designation to using the libtool "-release" flag with the
        package version, e.g. libGLViewer-5.1.3.so .
      * I think there should be a package called plain "salome" with the
        core functionality which people expect to have when they think
        of Salomé.
      * The documentation also desparately needs to break up!  I suggest
        salome-doc for the non-built docs, and salome-user-doc and
        salome-dev-doc for the docs made with "make -C [MODULE]/doc
        usr_docs" and dev_docs respectively.
      * As for implementation, instead of SALOME_MODULES, perhaps we can
        have SALOME_CORE_MODULES, etc., and install them with DESTDIR=
        $(CURDIR)/debian/salome-core or -advanced etc., and then move
        around the shared libs, header files, symlinks, and python files
        from there.

> Another solution would be to provide a package for every Salome module
> but it seems to be confusing because of the modules number. Moreover the
> package creations is going to become inconvenient while producing very
> little improvement to the user. Who is going to create a mesh without
> using the GUI but only through a CORBA service (thus installing only
> salome-kernel and salome-smesh)? The same scenario can be repeated to
> others modules as well.

I agree this would not be a helpful solution.

> In conclusion, is it worth to wonder about a new Salome package
> organization?

Definitely!  Thanks for the suggestion.  It will all take a lot of work,
and should probably happen after the initial package goes into unstable,
but it will make people's lives much easier in the post-squeeze release.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/