Debian package for Elmer - Re: ITP: Elmer -- Finite element software for multiphysics problems

Dear Colleagues,

I have previously created a debian package for Elmer that does not claim to fulfill the official debian policies but might be useful to trigger the debian work. The package is available as source and for the amd64 architecture. It is available form the repositories:
deb http://mirror.sim.ul.pt/debian-paipix etch main contrib non-free
where one can replace deb by deb-src and etch by lenny or sid.
In the backport to etch, I also backported libqt4 that is available from the same repository.
The packages are elmerfem and elmerfem-doc.
All packages are build under pbuilder so the dependencies should be Ok.

As can be seen in the debian/rules file I add to modify the usual
configure --prefix=/usr
because, even if one installs using
make install DESTDIR=...
many files tend to be sent to /usr/lib. etc.
This means that I had to patch some configure files. The patch files are in the debian directory, alldough the patches have already been applied. I have used the version 5.4.1 of elmer but the ElemerGUI ElemerGUIlogger and elmergrid was picked form the trunk svn.

The configure files are tuned by the authors with the -m64 compilation flag. I have made the package only available for the amd64 architectures. Migrating to different architectures and even to i386 means patching more the configure system and has to be checked with the authors.

Lots of room for improvement as you can see but I hope it can be used as a seed .

PS: I have also backported gmsh to etch and also created a getdb package in the same repository. Regarding getdb, I have succeeded with the etch backport but lenny and sid are failing due to lapack3. In the case of lenny and sid I am using lapack-dev and I get
/tmp/buildd/getdp-1.2.1/Arpack/second.f:29: undefined reference to `etime_
Does anybody  have an idea?

All the best,
António Amorim