Re: ITP: Elmer -- Finite element software for multiphysics problems

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 16:32 -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 22:18 +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't have anything to say about Elmer, but ...
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 02:01:52PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > > Elmer uses METIS (or its free counterpart Scotch) for mesh partitioning,
> >
> > do you have some experience with using Scotch? Is it a drop-in
> > replacement for METIS?
>
> Every code I've tried seems to build with Scotch instead of METIS, just
> use -lscotchmetis -lscotch -lscotcherr and you should be all set.

As it turns out, only -lmetis is needed from Scotch 5.0.6 onward (in
Debian).  However, it looks like Scotch only implements a small subset
of the METIS interface.  It's enough for libMesh and deal.II, but Elmer
needs a couple of functions it doesn't provide (METIS_PartMeshNodal and
METIS_PartMeshDual).

Cheers,
-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/