Re: Last minute package update request

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 01:09:55AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Is there some other strategy he should use?

Yes. Patience. All good things come to those who wait.

While "whine" also starts with a "w", it doesn't work anywhere near as
well.

> I have no idea how to make things better.

All I'm asking, for the moment, is that you, and everyone else, stop
making them worse.

One way you can make them better is by not jumping on ftpmaster and others
as a matter of course. Have a look at the thread: Jeroen has a problem,
which, as it happens, will be solved if he waits patiently for another
week or so, he starts whining, Joey replies, and Jerome, Josip, Andreas,
Nicolas and you all start jumping on either me or ftpmaster.

Now tell me, is that sort of thing conducive to anything good?

Have a look at your reaction to my response of, what, three whole words.
You Cc me on list mail -- something that you know annoys me unduly --
you call me a petty tyrant, tell me I've got a bad attitude, and then
blow a tinsy little thread up into an attack on ftpmaster.

Do you really consider that a productive response to a snippy remark?

Do you really consider Andreas' message a productive thing to be doing
now? Let's recall some key phrases: "[...] it really seems that ftpmaster
([and the] release manager) are obviously overloaded. We have to find
a solution".

Do you really think that a "good attitude" is to continually and
repeatedly criticise the people doing the work of getting the release out
(which isn't to demean the work everyone here does putting the release
together in the first place -- but this really does go above and beyond
that, whether you realise it or not) and demand that every action, and
every inaction, be publically justified, and every query be immediately
answered to the satisfaction of the enquirer?

Perhaps you do. But I don't, and it's whoever's doing the work that gets
to decide.

Finally: if you want to show some appreciation or respect, don't criticise
then hide behind some trite "Thanks to people behind ftpmaster and Anthony
for doing this huge job." Instead, help when you can, and be supportive
when you can't.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''