Re: Questions about PAPT and the uploading process

[Umang, 2010-01-06]
> 1.    I have read http://python-apps.alioth.debian.org/policy.html. It
> doesn't seem to indicate anything about filing an ITP. In all the RFSs I
> have seen here, there is an ITP mentioned. Do I need to file an ITP
> before I make an RFS? The package I am looking to upload is a new package
> and I am currently the only one working on it upstream.

How do you know you're the only one who is working on Debian package for
your app? If you want to package it, why not tell others about it so that
nobody will duplicate your work?

> 2.    The RFSs and (if I am going to need to file one) ITPs seem to have
> a template that I cannot find. Am I missing some part of the processes or
> does everyone copy it from the previous posts?

reportbug > other > 26 (wnpp) > 1 (ITP)

> 3.    I am using Ubuntu and have managed to make binary and source
> packages on Ubuntu successfully. I also maintain a PPA for this package
> and my source packages have compiled on the servers also. I have read
> that before I make an RFS, I should ensure that I am able to compile on
> Debian. Do I need to have Debian running as well? (With only 5 GB of
> space left on my 40 GB hard drive, it's going to be hard for me to get
> Debian)

pbuilder (or cowbuilder) should be enough (yes, you have to test it on
Debian, but you can use chroot env.)

> 4.    Do I have to put my debian dir on the svn repo before I make an RFS?

you'll have to put it there at some point anyway

> 5.    lintian complains about my not using my full name in the package.
> Is that necessary? Is it bad if I use only my first name?

which lintian tag is it?