Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Russ Allbery dijo [Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:03:20AM -0700]:
> MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> writes:
>
> > 2. the continuing existance of the Debian Women mailing list illustrates
> > one way the whole-project level still does not honour diversity and
> > creates special spaces for some groups but not others.
>
> I just can't let this stand.
>
> Color-blindness is a myth.  And gender-blindness is a myth.  Both of them
> are destructive myths that are used to cover up inequities by refusing to
> talk about them on the grounds that we should instead be blind to the
> ongoing problems, making both terms rather apt.
> (…)

Excellent wording. And just let me add a little remark to this (which
is already known by everybody involved, but still…)

debian-women is the name of the group that was created because of a
specific problem Debian had, and has had quite a bit of success (if
not so much numerically, behaiourally and culturally yes). But if
debian-women as re-formed today, it would probably be called
debian-inclusiveness or something like that. It just does not stop at
welcoming women and making Debian a gender-agnostic place.

And, guys and girls in d-women, you are for me one of the most
inspiring, hard-working and most admirable parts of the project.