Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Francesca Ciceri <madamezou@debian.org> writes:

>   ** changes proposed for (1):
>      - s/religions/religious belief or disbelief/ (dkg)

It's foolish to commit to respect all opinions. Some opinions (some
political or religious beliefs, for example) are not worthy of respect,
and some are indeed destructive of a welcoming environment.

We should respect a person's right to *hold* whatever opinions they
like; but those opinions, when expressed, should get no assumed
protection, not even in a diversity statement. If the opinion is unsound
or hateful or otherwise unworthy of respect, it should get no protection
in a public forum.

We should not commit to respecting opinions, but instead commit to
respecting all people.

--
 \     “Yesterday I parked my car in a tow-away zone. When I came back |
  `\                      the entire area was missing.” —Steven Wright |