Re: linhdd concerns

Anthony Towns wrote:
> Given the description of abs_fdisk on the linhdd site:
>
> ] 0.4 release now includes a customized version of fdisk (called
> ] abs_fdisk). Why? Well, daealing with SATA (scsi) in /proc was a bear --
> ] and the ease with which fdisk gave me the needed drive info made me wish
> ] I could use fdisk. Just that on Slackware and Absolute, which I use,
> ] you can only run fdisk as root. Sooooo -- I downloaded util-linux and
> ] changed the source code for fdisk so that it would not srite anythig
> ] to drives, just return the drive info. Renamed it abs_fdisk (because I
> ] wrote it sort of specifically for Absolute Linux, and Eureka!, Use fdisk
> ] as non-root user safely.
>
> makes it sound to me like you should be packaging abs_fdisk separately and
> having linhdd Depend: on it; or, ideally, getting util-linux patched so
> its fdisk can support the same features as abs_fdisk.

What information does linhdd need from fdisk?
Fdisk seems to run just fine as a normal user on Debian. The issues
seems to be that /dev/{s,h}d* are directly readable only by members of
the group 'disk'.
Perhaps instead of packaging this 'abs_fdisk', which AFAICT is just a
"read-only non-root" fdisk, you could just create a setuid wrapper to
the normal fdisk and use it from linhdd?

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]