Re: [Utnubu-discuss] Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:00:22PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (I just got the mails to utnubu-discuss, so bear with me)
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.12.2005, 15:39 +0100 schrieb Sven Luther:
> > The process was to be manually though, the idea is to scan incoming mails to
> > the BTS, which would notice an URL to an ubuntu patch, and auto-attach it (and
> > complain loudly to the submitter if the URL is bogus :). Sounds like a nice
> > idea in need of someone implementing it.
>
> I don't think there is much gain - an attached patch is not much better
> than a link, and might annoy people with limited bandwidth.

wrong, first, an attached patch is perene within our BTS, while a link to an
external entity is without guarantee. Also consider the benefit for
maintainers to do offline work, having only their local email archive related
to the bug report.

Second, we are speaking about attachement to bug reports, not sending
everything to a mailing list and tons of subscribed folk, so i doubt bandwidth
is an issue here.

> But maybe this derived idea is some good: How about looking through the
> repository of ubuntu pachtes (aka people.u.c/~scott/patches) and make
> sure a link to it is sent to the approriate bugnum@bugs.debian.org?

Yeah. But then you need to manually triage after the fact, having the one
coining the bug report being in communication (and better yet working as a
team) with the debian maintainer, and marking in some way bugs as ubuntu only,
quick hacks or things that should be merged is the better idea. The thing is
it needs some active cooperation from the ubuntu people, and not something
just we can do.

> Sounds like a very good idea, and fully in the scope of Utnubu. Some
> questions:
>
>  * Is it common to refer to debian bug numbers in ubuntu patches

I think not, they have their own (ugly bugzilla with no email interface), and
their own bug numbers. Not sure if this is something where the ubuntu guys can
and will be willing to do the extra work of listing the debian bug number
also, or if they have been doing this already.

>  * Is this done in a unambigous way (like in debian/changelogs)

Probably yes.

>  * How big are the chances that an automatic script with get the bug
>    number wrong or mistake another number for a bug number

The question is the mapping from ubuntu bug number to debian bug numbers.

> If the answers are not too bad, this could be implemented by Utnubu (we
> pull the complete patches tree every day anyways)

Hehe. but i think the triaging is the problem in this approach. Maybe an
extension to our BTS web pages, which lists easily the ubuntu bugs for a given
package would be nice, but i think active cooperation is the better solution.

Friendly,

Sven Luther