Re: Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:29:20AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:00:22PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 15.12.2005, 15:39 +0100 schrieb Sven Luther:
> > Sounds like a very good idea, and fully in the scope of Utnubu. Some
> > questions:
> >
> >  * Is it common to refer to debian bug numbers in ubuntu patches
>
> I think not, they have their own (ugly bugzilla with no email interface),
> and their own bug numbers. Not sure if this is something where the ubuntu
> guys can and will be willing to do the extra work of listing the debian
> bug number also, or if they have been doing this already.

Ubuntu is actually working on a system, called Launchpad
(http://launchpad.net/), which is apparently going to be an Uber meta BTS,
tracking bugs in Debian's BTS as well as a pile of other distros' BTSes.  In
principle, then, you could use that system to track the mapping between
Debian bugs and Ubuntu bugs.

Currently, the system is being used to track bugs in the "Universe" packages
(those which aren't in the fully-supported distro -- the vast majority of
Debian, in other words) but not the much smaller 'main' distro.  I haven't
looked at how good the bug mapping is lately, though, and the system isn't
ready for full-scale production yet.

- Matt