Re: Google ads on debian.org

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 09:33:22PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I don't think we're talking about lottery-winning here.  In my head
> we're not talking about money going to developers either, initially.  I
> guess my vision is something like:
>
> Develop a dependable revenue stream unless current donation levels are
> sufficient to act.
> Begin to cover some of Debian's operating costs, mainly on-going costs
> first, ie: bandwidth for master and other Debian infrastructure
> machines, maintenance/upkeep for machines already owned, etc.
> If there are requirements for additional machines and funds available,
> then acquire those, if funds aren't available, then ask for donations of
> hardware or money to cover them (this applies to everything, really).
> Work to cover other costs- accounting help, asset tracking, etc, as
> necessary.
> Once Debian is covering it's normal operating costs (which,
> unfortunately, probably aren't even tracked currently..  I don't know,
> they should be tracked by SPI, really, but I seriously doubt anyone's
> really thought about it at all) wrt bandwidth, equipment, accounting,
> etc, *then* maybe look at possibly hiring on staff.  No, it wouldn't be
> possible to hire all developers at once or something silly like that.  I
> would tend to think infrastruture/coordination jobs would be first and
> then, who knows, maybe someday we could all work for SPI on Debian- a
> non-profit organization working in the public interest to develop and
> build the best open-source operating system consistent with our SC.
>
> It's a thought anyway.  Those involved with SPI have probably had some
> thoughts along these lines before, I imagine.

You're thinking about founding a corporation. There are plenty of
those already. It is not necessary to hijack Debian's name and trademarks
in order to do this.

That corporation cannot and will not be the organisation currently
referred to as 'Debian'. Nor could it do what Debian does. The absence
of control is fundamental to our organisational structure.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |