Re: d-i on a second hard drive in a G5

Well, some bad and some good news. Let's start with the bad ones:

1) I edited yaboot.conf to integrate the suggestions received so far
(thank you!). Here is how it reads now. For the purposes of this e-mail
I put double stars at the beginning of modified/added lines:

boot=/dev/sdb2
** device=sd1:
partition=3
root=/dev/sdb3
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
** ofboot=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:2
enablecdboot
** enableofboot
macosx=/dev/sda3
** default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinux
        label=Linux
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
        label=old
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old

I did the following while booting from the CD:

1. Mount all partitions. They are already initialized and loaded
   from my previous install attempt.
2. Exit to a shell.
3. Edit /target/etc/yaboot.conf
4. chroot /target
5. mount -t proc none /proc
6. ybin -v
   (everything looks OK from the ybin output, including
    "Blessing /dev/sdb2 with Holy Penguin Pee")
7. Exit the shell, back to the installer's main menu.
8. Reboot the machine.

Nothing new. Still the "l" option in the text boot menu sends me back to
the graphical boot menu.

2) The good news! I was able to boot Linux directly from the boot loader
as suggested by Gaudenz and finish up the installation with Linux in the
second hard drive. Once Linux was installed, I rebooted hoping that a
miracle would give me Linux by default. No way, the machine booted
automatically into OSX again. I tried then the graphical boot menu once
more, and no way, graphical menu-->text menu-->"l" option-->graphical
menu. I can't get out of this loop.

So in conclusion, the only way to get into Linux now is via this long
command at the OF prompt:

boot /ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:2,\yaboot

This loads Linux by default, as specified in the yaboot.conf file.

So after all this exercise, who do you think is the bad guy here? I seem
to conclude it is ofboot. Would you agree?

--
Pedro

--
Pedro