Re: d-i fails on new PowerMac G5

    "Pedro" == Pedro Sanchez <psanchez@nortel.com> writes:

    Pedro> I installed Debian in a second hard drive. Did I miss
    Pedro> something during the install?

Well, sounds like you got past the first problem which was that you
were using the RC2 installer (which does not boot).

I would guess everything is working correctly actually. But I'm
guessing ;-)

My guess is you partitioned the second disk only. So I'm guessing you
put the Apple_Bootstrap partition on the second disk. So the installer
put yaboot on the second disk (on that boostrap parition). Pretty
natural to me too.

When you boot the machine the Firmware boots from the first bootstrap
partition and loads Mac OS X. If you tell it too boot off the second
disk it loads yaboot correctly (and if you boot with 'l' you should
get Linux).

The install guide clearly says the bootstrap partition must go
*before* the Mac OS X partition (because of the way Mac OS 'blesses'
partitions). If you put it on the second drive then that is the only
way it can work?

Having said all that: what do you want it to do? The firmware is the
firmware is the firmware.....the only way to work around it is put the
yaboot bootstrap partition on disk 1 before the Mac OS X partition ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal

PS: Looks like you do this stuff at work, and I do it after work, so
we exchange messages a day apart ;-)