Re: Trying to install on oldworld powermac

On (16/01/04 23:11), Fraser Campbell wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian (woody, sid or sarge) on a beige G3 powermac.  I
> know next to nothing about the hardware and that's leading me into trouble.
> So much to learn ... I've been using Linux for almost 11 years, on PCs, Suns,
> Cobalts, embedded devices, etc.  Now with a Mac in front of me I feel like an
> idiot ;-)
>
> I did get woody's installer up and running from BootX but I want to get rid of
> MacOS entirely.  My understanding is that I should be able to use the Quik
> bootloader, bypassing the need for MacOS/BootX.
Hi Fraser

This may be doable but everything I've read suggests that it is not easy.
I have just installed sid on a G3 using BootX and wanted to upgrade the
kernel etc.  I've researched and it would seem that the only person
who's managed to get quik to boot on a G3 is Michel Lanners (there are
some posts in the archive).  If you crack it your notes
will be welcomed by me and many  others I suspect ..... Good luck

Clive