Re: Trying to install on oldworld powermac

Hi,

> - I can just make out that open firmware is onscreen when I boot but
>   unfortunately I cannot read anything else.  My monitor displays
>   about 6 copies of openfirware screen in narrow vertical bands,
>   there's some shake and it's too fuzzy to understand any of the
>   output.
No ideas for this one... are you using the on-board video (RageII/Rage
Pro), or a third party PCI card ? In the latter case, the card should be
mac-specific, otherwise OF might have troubles dealing with it.

> So now another problem I have is that I don't know what is the Command
> key or what is the I/O key (or does that mean I & O)?  I have a
> Control key in the same place as a PC (lower left), I have an
> "alt/option" key to the right of that and then a blank key to the
> right of that ... is the blank (3rd from left) key the command key?
As others have said , the reboot sequence is Ctrl-Apple-Power, and the
PRAM zapping one is Apple-Alt-P-R

> Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated, not being able to
> clearly see openfirmware is the biggest issue right now, if I can get
> past that then I can hopefully figure out the rest.
If you can get a viable prompt, check your OF version : there are two
revisions of the Beige G3, and the settings are quite different

Simon
--

Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header