Re: alternative airport extreme card

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:23:49PM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 10:42, Chris Anderson wrote about getting a
> dwl-122 usb wireless stick working under Debian:

> > > I currently have one on order for my G4 ibook. Do you have, or could you
> > > pointy me to, debian specific instructions for setting this up ??? Was
> > > there anything particular to debian/ppc that you had to do in order to
> > > make this work ??? (I am totally new to wireless under linux having only
> > > set this stuff up under that other OS).
> >
> > Download the latest linux-wlan-ng release from linux-wlan.org. Untar it
> > and then run 'make config', you'll want the prism usb driver when it
> > asks. Then when configuring is done just install it with 'make all; make
> > install'.
>
> OK. Got my DWL-122 today and have tested it under OS X and it is all
> working fine with my Minitar AP. (For the question about Mac OS X
> stability make sure you get the latest drivers from
> http://dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=175#drivers)
>
> Anyhow under linux when I go to compile the drivers after downloading
> the latest linux-wlan-ng as suggested it 'spits the dummy'[0] during the
> config stage. I have reproduced the error below :-
>
> <snipped from console>
>
> huntm@tabernacle:~/linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1pre21$ make config
>
> -------------- Linux WLAN Configuration Script -------------
>
> The default responses are correct for most users.
>
> Build Prism2.x PCMCIA Card Services (_cs) driver? (y/n) [y]: n
> Build Prism2 PLX9052 based PCI (_plx) adapter driver? (y/n) [n]: n
> Build Prism2.5 native PCI (_pci) driver? (y/n) [n]: n
> Build Prism2.5 USB (_usb) driver? (y/n) [n]: y
>
> Linux source directory [/usr/src/linux]:
> Linux source tree /usr/src/linux is incomplete or missing!
>     See the HOWTO for a list of FTP sites for current kernel sources.

Bah, another broken driver who doesn't know how to build when sources are not
in /usr/src/linux. either you fix it by grepping in the makefile to see what
shows /usr/src/linux and replace it with the stuff from kernel-build, or you
put a symlink from /usr/src/linux to the place that holds your kernl-build
stuff. If you use 2.6.8 debian packages, and this doesn't work for you, please
fill a bug report.

Friendly,

Sven Luther