Re: alternative airport extreme card

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:30, Michael Hunt wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 05:32, Chris Anderson wrote about airport extreme
> and options ones has for getting i8t working:
>
> > You don't. Your only option for an ibook g4 or powerbook 12" is to use a
> > usb wlan adapter. I'm using a DWL-122 without issue personally.
>
> I currently have one on order for my G4 ibook. Do you have, or could you
> pointy me to, debian specific instructions for setting this up ??? Was
> there anything particular to debian/ppc that you had to do in order to
> make this work ??? (I am totally new to wireless under linux having only
> set this stuff up under that other OS).

Download the latest linux-wlan-ng release from linux-wlan.org. Untar it
and then run 'make config', you'll want the prism usb driver when it
asks. Then when configuring is done just install it with 'make all; make
install'.

As for actually using it, I use the following script. It isn't overly
pretty, but it gets the job done. Technically the card can be brought up
with hotplug and the configurations in /etc/wlan/, but I honestly found
that to be flaky even with the correct information. So I use this script
to bring it up.

#!/bin/sh
#
# wlan.sh - Script to set up a dwl-122....
# Author: Chris Anderson, bla bla bla no real copyright
# Usage: ./wlan.sh [ssid] [wep key]
# If no ssid is specified it will attempt to bind to the first found
# If no wep key is assigned it will attempt to use opensystem
#

# Reset the module, or load it initially (in case of a removal)
modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=0

authtype='sharedkey'
if [ ! -n $2 ]
then
    authtype='opensystem'
fi
# Bring the interface up first
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_hostwep decrypt=true encrypt=true
# All the fun key stuff
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKeyID=0
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11PrivacyInvoked=true
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey0="$2"
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid="$1" authtype="$authtype"
ifconfig wlan0
# Just throwing in a 2 second wait so the nic associates with the AP
sleep 2
dhclient wlan0

--
Chris Anderson <chris@nullcode.org>