Re: strategy for disk replacement?

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 05:35:05PM +0100, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
> 'ello,
>
> On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 14:00, david howe wrote:
> > Can I rsync the disk to a remote and then copy back onto the new disk?
> > Does anyone have any better suggestions?
>
> Yes, I recently used this technique to recover a dead server because it
> died in the middle of a dd (image) backup :-).
>
> You'll need options such as:
> --verbose --recursive --perms --owner --group --stats --progress
> --delete --exclude=/proc --one-file-system --sparse --times --devices
> --links --hard-links --delete-excluded
>
> Remember to remake the proc directory in the tree you copy it to (sys as
> well if you're using 2.6).

Also, partimage seems very nice for this kind of stuff, especially as it can
store the disk images over the network. I have here a partimage enabled initrd
kernel, so i can just boot it and do my stuff. It overwrites /dev/hda by
default though, so it is probably not for you.

Maybe you could try the DFS cdroms which where announced here previously, they
also have partimage on them.

Friendly,

Sven Luther