Re: "Debian Within a Darwin System"

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Scott Henson wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> writes:
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Scott Henson wrote:
> >> MacOS are mutually exclusive.  Check out the --root options to dpkg.
> >> I would think once one has Debian on Darwin one could easily port use
> >> the same binaries on MacOS and even use debootstrap to build the
> >> initial Debian install inside of /sw or wherever on your MacOS system
> >> and from then on tell apt or your tool of choice to pass the --root
> >> option to dpkg.  It seem like it would be very easy, but maybe Im just
> >> make it more simple than it actually is.
> >
> > For binaries and libraries and dpkg databases that's OK, but what about config
> > files in e.g. /etc? Any other stuff in /usr/lib?
> >
> > You could use chroot and mount --bind /home in the chroot file system, but it's
> > still clumsy and requires root access.
> >
> > You really need to prefix these at build time.
>
> No I don't think you need a prefix.  Say you want to install xine-ui,
> then you would apt-get install xine-ui and you would configure apt to
> use dpkg --root=/sw.  With this all of xine's conf files would go
> under /sw/etc and its binary would go under /sw/usr/bin/xine.  Your
> entire Debian system would go under /sw or maybe better yet, /deb.

Indeed.

> There is of course the problem of packages possibly not knowing about
> the --root switch and they would still look for their conf files under
> /etc, but that may also be a bug and there may be some way of getting
> dpkg to tell the packages about the new root.  At least that is how I

I don't think anything except dpkg honors the --root flag. It's just a way to
tell dpkg to extract the files at a different place, not to tell the
applications to start looking for files at a different place.

> would go about doing it in the easiest possible way.  It would require
> you to alter your path and set your ld variable or some such, but it
> lets you run the program without being root, though you probably still
> need root to install(doesn't dpkg enforce this?).

Dpkg needs root because it needs to write to / and to /var/lib/dpkg.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds