Re: "Debian Within a Darwin System"

Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Scott Henson wrote:
>> MacOS are mutually exclusive.  Check out the --root options to dpkg.
>> I would think once one has Debian on Darwin one could easily port use
>> the same binaries on MacOS and even use debootstrap to build the
>> initial Debian install inside of /sw or wherever on your MacOS system
>> and from then on tell apt or your tool of choice to pass the --root
>> option to dpkg.  It seem like it would be very easy, but maybe Im just
>> make it more simple than it actually is.
>
> For binaries and libraries and dpkg databases that's OK, but what about config
> files in e.g. /etc? Any other stuff in /usr/lib?
>
> You could use chroot and mount --bind /home in the chroot file system, but it's
> still clumsy and requires root access.
>
> You really need to prefix these at build time.

No I don't think you need a prefix.  Say you want to install xine-ui,
then you would apt-get install xine-ui and you would configure apt to
use dpkg --root=/sw.  With this all of xine's conf files would go
under /sw/etc and its binary would go under /sw/usr/bin/xine.  Your
entire Debian system would go under /sw or maybe better yet, /deb.
There is of course the problem of packages possibly not knowing about
the --root switch and they would still look for their conf files under
/etc, but that may also be a bug and there may be some way of getting
dpkg to tell the packages about the new root.  At least that is how I
would go about doing it in the easiest possible way.  It would require
you to alter your path and set your ld variable or some such, but it
lets you run the program without being root, though you probably still
need root to install(doesn't dpkg enforce this?).

--
Scott Henson <scotth@csee.wvu.edu>