Re: "Debian Within a Darwin System"

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Scott Henson wrote:
> MacOS are mutually exclusive.  Check out the --root options to dpkg.
> I would think once one has Debian on Darwin one could easily port use
> the same binaries on MacOS and even use debootstrap to build the
> initial Debian install inside of /sw or wherever on your MacOS system
> and from then on tell apt or your tool of choice to pass the --root
> option to dpkg.  It seem like it would be very easy, but maybe Im just
> make it more simple than it actually is.

For binaries and libraries and dpkg databases that's OK, but what about config
files in e.g. /etc? Any other stuff in /usr/lib?

You could use chroot and mount --bind /home in the chroot file system, but it's
still clumsy and requires root access.

You really need to prefix these at build time.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds