Re: Screen is worthless, other ideas ?? [Was] Cut and Paste on an iMac

I gather you wish to cut, copy and paste text in X.

Highlight text with the mouse to put it in the copy buffer. Click the middle mouse button to paste the current contents of the copy buffer. For anything more sophisticated try using KDE or Gnome as these desktop environments offer some interesting extensions to the default X behaviour. KDE's Klipper is particularly good.

Obviously you don't have a middle button on your mouse. My advice would be to go out right now and buy a three button optical mouse with a scroll wheel. Mac OS X has supported extra buttons and scroll wheels since forever so if you dual boot you won't need to swap back to the old mouse.

Otherwise use three button emulation.

Apparently this works though I haven't tried it. Add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf

dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation=1
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode=87
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button3_keycode=88

This should set F10 and F11 as your middle and right mouse buttons next time you boot. If you don't fancy a reboot read the sysctl man page and set the values manually.