Compiling 2.6.5 on iMac

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to configure and install kernel-source-2.6.5 on a Summer 2001 iMac DV. I'm trying to optimize for speed, so I'm trying to get rid of any hardware drivers for hardware that isn't installed. This turned out to be trickier than I thought--I don't know exactly what hardware I have installed. It took me over an hour to compile a kernel with no usb support. I don't really want to experiment. That would take much too long.

Does anyone know of a good source of information on iMac hardware? I'm willing to rtfm, but I don't know what m to fr. :-)

Thanks,
Alex