Re: kernel 2.6 difference between g4 and powerpc kernel

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 19:50, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Hmm, in arch/ppc/ PPC_PMAC64 indeed depends on POWER4 while in ppc64
> it doesn't.  Ben, is that intentional?

Hrm... sort-of... on ppc32, the code to run on a POWER4 CPU is in #ifdef
CONFIG_POWER4. Without it, it won't work. And with it, it won't work on
non-POWER4. That dues partially to differences in the MMU setup when the
CPU runs in 32 bits mode. I could probably make that a runtime check but
I've never bothered, as I don't plan to support ppc32 on g5 forever
anyway.

On ppc64, the same kernel image can work on all those CPU models.

Ben.