Re: kernel 2.6 difference between g4 and powerpc kernel

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:44:40AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christoph Hellwig writes:
>
> > btw, do we really need the power3 vs power4 split?  I know the ppc64
> > folks only need split kernels for iseries vs pseries and g5,
>
> I thought PPC_ISERIES and PPC_PSERIES were the ppc64 equivalent of
> ppc's CONFIG_POWER3 and CONFIG_POWER4, respectively.

nope, iseries = ex-AS/400.  very strange hypervisor, not coded directly
to the hardware.

pseries = ex-RS/6000.

Both support hardware from the old RS64 to the power5, the pseries
kernel also supports the G5.

> Anyway, I know
> for sure that the power3 flavour doesn't run on the one power4 machine
> I have access to (namely yorick, the 2x2 G5 used for building the
> Debian kernels).

Hmm, in arch/ppc/ PPC_PMAC64 indeed depends on POWER4 while in ppc64
it doesn't.  Ben, is that intentional?