Re: Kernel hangs during boot on PowerBook G4 17 1GHz

On Dec 10, 2003, at 8:39 AM, Barry Hawkins wrote:

On Dec 10, 2003, at 4:09 AM, Diana Galletly wrote:

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Barry Hawkins wrote:

So, if anyone has any suggestions, or even better if you already have
a great kernel config file for a 17" PowerBook G4 1GHz, feel free to
share.

Total shot in the dark -- but does 2.4.22 work fine?  I've spent most
of the last few days with an i386 machine I was trying to run 2.4.23 on hanging at "INIT: version 2.85 booting". Yesterday in desperation I tried compiling up an assortment of kernels, and discovered that it's _somewhere_ between 2.4.22 and 2.4.23 that things got broken. So maybe worth a try if
you're desperate?

Diana.

Diana,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, in fact my 2.4.22 kernel that came with the daily snapshot of the Debian installer boots fine, although there are some things in the kernel that need not be there for me to run optimally.

[...]

Through a series of tests, I was able to advance beyond the hangup just after the line "hub.c: new USB device 10:1a.0-1, assigned address 2" in the boot process. However, I am not sure that it indicates progress. By removing OHCI for USB and leaving ADB (Macintosh device drivers) enabled along with UHCI (the default one for Intel, etc., not JE), I received the following:

<excerpt>
input3: ADB HID on ID 3:3.01
adb: finished probe task...
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Starting Bootlog daemon: bootlogd.
Activating swap.
Checking root file system...
fsck 1.35-WIP (21-Aug-2003)
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
/dev/hda4:
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck failed.  Please repair manually and reboot.  Please note
that the root file system is currently mounted read-only.  To
Remount it read-write:

   # mount -n -o remount,rw /

CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and REBOOT the system.
</excerpt>

The root partition checks out fine when I boot into the default 2.4.22 kernel from the Debian installer. I am reluctant to muck around with fsck in light of that. Perhaps I am missing some key kernel configuration directive in my filesystems options? I do have ext3 and its journalling option compiled into the kernel.

I was surprised that disabling OHCI took me further. I would have thought that a 17" PowerBook would use OHCI. Is UHCI the correct driver for this laptop's USB?

Thanks,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed