Re: Kernel hangs during boot on PowerBook G4 17 1GHz

On Dec 10, 2003, at 4:09 PM, David Pye wrote:

Hi Barry,

The error you have says /dev/hda4 DOES NOT EXIST.
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
This *might* be because under filesystem support in kernel config, you
selected devfs...

David

[...]
Through a series of tests, I was able to advance beyond the hangup just after the line "hub.c: new USB device 10:1a.0-1, assigned address 2" in
the boot process.  However, I am not sure that it indicates progress.
By removing OHCI for USB and leaving ADB (Macintosh device drivers)
enabled along with UHCI (the default one for Intel, etc., not JE), I
received the following:

<excerpt>
input3: ADB HID on ID 3:3.01
adb: finished probe task...
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Starting Bootlog daemon: bootlogd.
Activating swap.
Checking root file system...
fsck 1.35-WIP (21-Aug-2003)
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
/dev/hda4:
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck failed.  Please repair manually and reboot.  Please note
that the root file system is currently mounted read-only.  To
Remount it read-write:

    # mount -n -o remount,rw /

CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and REBOOT the system.
</excerpt>

The root partition checks out fine when I boot into the default 2.4.22
kernel from the Debian installer.  I am reluctant to muck around with
fsck in light of that.  Perhaps I am missing some key kernel
configuration directive in my filesystems options?  I do have ext3 and
its journalling option compiled into the kernel.

I was surprised that disabling OHCI took me further.  I would have
thought that a 17" PowerBook would use OHCI.  Is UHCI the correct
driver for this laptop's USB?

Thanks,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed

David,
Thanks, I will check that out right now. In my wanderings I remember something about enabling devfs to enable something related to usbfs or something like that. Since I have to be in OS X to connect to the internet and use mail, I have to go on memory. I will check it out; many thanks.

Regards,