Re: Slow disk performance (was: Re: install help 6400/200)

The standard internal SCSI bus on OldWord PowerMacs is quite slow
for today standards, with 10 Mb/s of nominal bandwitdh.

To make it worse factory installed hard disks where specially slow.
Tipical sustained transfer read ates under MacOS are in the 3-5 Mb/s
range. With multi-tasking OSes this may be even worse as the CPU is
shared between io wait and active tasks.

I remeber spending 4 hours to format 1 Gb disks with MacOS utilities in
1992. The first time I set-up a 9500 it took 1 hour to format its
2 Gb factory-installed hard drive. Last week I began to configure a 8500
with an Apple internal 2Gb drive, and it took 50 minutes on formatting.

This same machine supports a ten-fold increase in transfer rates using
newer SCSI appliances. The 9500 provides 6 PCI slots and two of them are
64 bit wide. Just add a good SCSI card (Ultra-2 LVD or Ultra160) and a
newer disk to see real (not bus nominal) transfer speeds of 25-40 Mb/s.

Some disk controllers even provide striping features, letting you read
file fragments in parallel from different physical disks. Some setups
deliver sustained 130 Mb/s read data rates.

On memory and crashes: OldWorld PowerMacs are very sensitive to memory and
bus speed. I am not sure but your machine bus probably runs at 45 MHz.
Defective memory chips may fail even in standard speed, and certainly
fail if you overclock the bus. Just forget about using your old memory,
give the dimms away for someone with a PowerMac with lower bus speed.

The 9500 has an additional problem, because its 512 Kb L2 cache is soldered
in the mainboard and can't be replaced, but usually it is a good quality
component.

*Saran

Rogério Saran
rsaran@organox.com.br