Slow disk performance (was: Re: install help 6400/200)

On Jul 25 2002, Trench Shoring wrote:
> Install takes about a week to format the entire 10G drive. I must be
> missing a basic howto. Is there a www site or tips on installing to
> this not so ancient Mac?

	First of all, I would like to point out that I don't know
	enough about macs as some here do, especially about older macs
	(finding macs in my country is not the easiest thing).

	Anyway, I have a PowerMac 9500/180MP (my uncle's) and the disk
	performance is quite low compared to other computers that I
	know.

	In fact, it is surprisingly slow as the disk in use is SCSI
	and I see that all the computer almost freezes whenever there
	is any disk access. I am using an SMP 2.4.x-benh kernel, but
	it seems that this behaviour is OS-agnostic, as I see it occur
	at least with MacOS X (installed via XPostFacto) and Linux. I
	have little experience with MacOS 9 to judge if this slowdown
	is still there, but I would guess so.

	I would even dare to say that the disk seem to be this
	machine's bottleneck.

	I don't know if the problem is a configuration problem or if
	it is something intrinsic to this system. I would appreciate
	if anybody could help me here. I am not in front of this mac
	right now, but I can get all the details needed for debugging
	the situation (or understanding if this is a limitation of
	this computer).

	I guess that my reply partially replies to the above poster.
	OTOH, that powermac has a 3G drive and while it does take some
	time to ext2-format the drive (scanning for bad blocks) it
	takes something like, say, 1 hour, but, NOT a whole week.

> YDog; System crashes during partitioning.

	I had strange things happenning to this mac (like LinuxPPC Q4,
	Debian potato and Yellowdog Linux 2.0 dying during their
	installs -- they were current when I tried them), until I
	exchanged both the hard drive and the system's memory (both
	were defective).

	The memory problems were particularly fun, as I got all sorts
	of un-deterministic behaviour from the computer.

	Well, I hope this helps and I also hope someone can help me.
	:-)

	[]s, Roger...

P.S.: Which rates am I expected to see with a SCSI drive on the PMac?
I remember that I get low rates whenever I use "hdparm -tT /dev/sda",
but, as I said earlier, I'm not with the mac here to give exact
figures -- I can provide them later, of course.