Troubleshooting X server

Please help! My X environment keeps shutting down on me without warning
and very little information. All I've found as far as errors go is the
following from /var/log/syslog:

Jul 26 13:28:01 crimson gnome-name-server[310]: input condition is:
0x10, exiting Jul 26 13:28:03 crimson gdm[248]:
gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

I'm running woody versions of everything: XFree 4.1, GNOME 1.4, Sawfish,
etc. The main software I've been trying to run is Sylpheed and Mozilla,
as well as terminal windows. The system is a PowerMac 9500/120, with a
Formac Proformance 3 (permedia-based) video card.

I realize this isn't much to go on yet, so what I'm mostly looking for
is tips on how to track down the problem. I am a programmer and fairly
adept at tracking down bugs and such, but I'm completely unfamiliar with
the tools available on Linux. I don't even know where to begin, so any
help would be greatly appreciated. If there are any hardware diagnostic
tools (e.g. intensive memory testers), that would probably be valuable
as well.

Thanks,
-- Michael