Re: yabootconfig fails on B&W G3

Chris Tillman wrote:
On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 04:02:10PM -0500, Kent West wrote:

Chris Tillman wrote:

So you apparently have one of the dual-ide bus machines, and for some reason ide0 is your main hard drive rather than hd.

Try creating the yaboot.conf from the earlier message in /target/etc/
and give ybin a shot (in the chroot).

Your /target/etc/yaboot.conf should have something like

boot=/dev/hde6
device=ide0:
timeout=50
fgcolor=light-cyan
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
macos=/dev/hde14
macosx=/dev/hde15

image=/vmlinux
	label=Linux
	read-only
	partition=7
	root=/dev/hde7

chroot /target ybin -v

ybin complained about the "light-cyan", so I changed it to "cyan".

Then ybin complained quite a bit:

/proc filesystem is not mounted; nvram will not be updated
unable to find OpenFirmware path for boot=/dev/hde6
and similar message for other partitions.

Having taken a break from this issue for a few days, I'm now back at it.

Since the above suggestions and resulting errors, I have done the following:

	chroot /target
which gave me a shell with /target as my top level root

	sh-2.05a# mount -t proc proc /proc

which mounted the proc filesystem. Previous to this step, "ls /proc" showed no files. Now it shows a normal-looking /proc directory.

	sh-2.05a# ybin -v

which generated these errors:

ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to '/dev/hde6' . . .
ofpath: Device: /dev/hde not supported
ybin: Unable to find OpenFirmware path for boot=/dev/hde6
ybin: Please add ofboot=<path> where <path> is the OpenFirmware path to
	/dev/hde6 to /etc/yaboot.conf

And then pretty much the same error messages for /dev/hde14 and /dev/hde14.

So I then editted /target/etc/yaboot.conf and added the line:
	ofboot=cd:6
just after the boot= line and reran "chroot /target ybin-v". The errors about /dev/hde6 went away, but the errors about /hde13 & 14 still happened.

Am I correct in believing I'm getting closer? If I reboot now, will I be able to boot into Linux (I don't care about Mac OS at this point)?

Thanks!

Kent