Re: yabootconfig fails on B&W G3

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 10:39:19AM -0500, Kent West wrote:

> It's not there either. From what I've been able to figure out,
> yabootconfig is a utility that creates yaboot.conf. Since yabootconfig
> fails, yaboot.conf doesn't get created, which explains why it's missing.

I'm sure you're right.

> >Out of curiosity, what else is on your ide controller (hda through
> >hdd)? Could you post the interesting parts of both devalias and
> >	dev / ls
> >executed in OF (spaces are significant)?
>
> I don't suppose there's anyway to capture this data so I don't have to
> manually switch back & forth on my KVM switch and type the data in manually?

Well, one way is to hook up to the Mac's serial port, then change
input and output devices to ttya. Then OF comes up in a terminal
window on your other machine and you can cut & paste.

(But you probably don't have a serial port, so... I dunno.)

> Interesting things from "devalias":
> ------------------
>
> ide0	/pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000
> ide1
> /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0
> hd
> /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk@0
> cd
> /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000/disk@0
> zip	/pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000/disk@1

OK, at least if we see this configuration again we'll know what's
going on.

> Interesting things from "dev / ls":
> ------------------
> (Can you stop the scrolling, or page-up?)
> (Never mind; yes, Ctrl-S to stop, Ctrl-Q to resume, scrolling.)
>
> \packages
>
>  . . .
>
> 	\ata-disk
> 	\atapi-disk
> 	\bootpath-search
>
>  . . .
>
> \multiboot
>
>  . . .
>
> \pci@80000000
> 	\pci-bridge@d
> 		\mac-io@5
> 			\interrupt-controller@10
> 			\scsi@10000
> 				\disk
> 				\tape
>   . . .
>
> 			\fdc@15000
> 				\disk@0
>   . . .
>
> 			\ata-3@20000
> 				\disk
>
>   . . .
>
> 		\pci-ata@1
> 			\ata-4@0
> 				\cdrom@0
> 				\cdrom@1

So you apparently have one of the dual-ide bus machines, and for some
reason ide0 is your main hard drive rather than hd.

Try creating the yaboot.conf from the earlier message in /target/etc/
and give ybin a shot (in the chroot). You could just type it in
nano-tiny, or copy it from the mail and plop it on your exchange
partition, then mount the exchange partition from the installer.