Re: yabootconfig fails on B&W G3

Chris Tillman wrote:
On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 04:31:05PM -0500, Kent West wrote:

I've been fighting to get Debian installed on a Blue & White G3 for several days, and after finally brute-forcing my way through the OpenFirmware prompt ("boot hd:x,yaboot" didn't work -- had to resort to "boot ide0/@0:x") have made it through the installation.

However, at the "Make system bootable" stage, yabootconfig fails. So I popped into the second VT and ran "yabootconfig" manually. It failed also, reporting that it "Could not determine root partition, aborting".

How did it fail?

At the Installation Main Menu, where it says "Next: Make System Bootable", I press <ENTER>; that screen disappears to be replaced with one that says "Running yabootconfig to make Debian bootable directly from the hard disk . . .", which then disappears to be replaced with one that says "Yaboot installation failed. You won't be able to boot without a CDROM or network boot server." I press <ENTER> to select the "Continue" button, and it takes me back to the beginning of this paragraph.

I looked for /etc/yaboot.conf, and the file does not exist.

Because in the installer environment, it's at /target/etc/yaboot.conf

It's not there either. From what I've been able to figure out, yabootconfig is a utility that creates yaboot.conf. Since yabootconfig fails, yaboot.conf doesn't get created, which explains why it's missing.

My partition scheme looks like (using /dev/hde):

Hmmm, maybe that's why hd: wouldn't work; hd: probably maps to /dev/hda
not /dev/hde

<snip>

It's probably failing for the same reason your boot attempts failed. Notice the ide0: below, is probably hd: in your config.

Out of curiosity, what else is on your ide controller (hda through
hdd)? Could you post the interesting parts of both devalias and dev / ls executed in OF (spaces are significant)?

I don't suppose there's anyway to capture this data so I don't have to manually switch back & forth on my KVM switch and type the data in manually?

Interesting things from "devalias":
------------------

ide0	/pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000
ide1 /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0 hd /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk@0 cd /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000/disk@0
zip	/pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000/disk@1

Interesting things from "dev / ls":
------------------
(Can you stop the scrolling, or page-up?)
(Never mind; yes, Ctrl-S to stop, Ctrl-Q to resume, scrolling.)

\packages

 . . .

	\ata-disk
	\atapi-disk