Re: Errors in sid xserver-xfree86 configuration

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 05:55, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 12:23:50AM -0500, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> > That's what I did, and it seems to work, but the instructions should say
> > not to specify a bus ID if you don't have PCI video, such as for all the
> > macs that just have video ram and no video chip.  This would otherwise
> > be very confusing to owners of older macintoshes.  The wording
> > specifically says the bus ID is required of all macintoshes, which is
> > not correct.
>
> Actually, it says it's required on all PowerPC machines.  I thought this
> was because there is some small PowerPC-specific bug in the X server's
> PCI handling code in XFree86 4.x, or at least our version of it.  To get
> the X server working on SPARCs as well as we do we have applied a
> massive "PCI domains" patch which isn't even going into XFree86 4.2.0.
> I'm not really in a position to ask XFree86 to help debug this, since
> I'm applying a patch that pounds all over their PCI code.

I doubt the problem is specific to that code. Specifying the bus ID has
been necessary on many PPC systems for as long as I remember.

> If someone knows what's really going on and how to better word this
> template, please, please let me know.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think you probably need the BusID unless you're
> using the fbdev driver.

As a rule of thumb, I'd advise any non-i386 [1] user to run lspci|grep
VGA, and if that yields a single result, or it's obvious which one is
the card she wants to use, have her specify the bus ID. Don't forget to
mention that decimal/hexadecimal thingy. :)

[1] Assuming that primary adapter thing only works reliably on i386. I
can imagine it also does on alpha and maybe others, but I have no
experience on those.