Re: I got into the installer and...

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 11:05:21AM +0200, odd@findus.dhs.org wrote:
> Well, (partial) success!

Just a little nit, can you cut your line length down?

> The new "pmacinstall-xx-.tar.gz-powerpc" helped alot. I now managed to get into the installer, configure keyboard, select swap and root partitions, and write a filesystem to my target root partition. But, when it came to installe the Kernel (and modules) I ran into trouble.

Great, I figured it wouldn't even boot after my blind modifications.

> I assumed I should use the kernel (and modules.tgz) that are all in the new "pmacinstall" file that I fetched. So I made that availible (both mounting the partition they were on, and writing resc1440.bin and root.bin to /dev/fd0), but now strange stuff happened.

When not using 1440k floppies you use resc1440.bin and drivers.tgz on
whatever mountable media you have available (nfs, another partition,etc.)
modules.tgz is provided for convenience so you can see what modules are
available.

For floppy-based install you write resc1440.bin, drv14-*.bin, and
base14-*.bin to floppies.

> When I entered the path to where the stuff was (in this case /mounted_mac_hd/powermac/) it seemed to find it, but it complained about /dev/loop0 not being a block device, and couldn't be mounted on /floppy . Makes no sense to me. When I tried to use the floppy... sorry, Then I tried to use the floppy I had written resc1440.bin on (cat resc1440.bin > /dev/fd0), but to no luck. It complained about not being able to mount the rescue disk, or something similar.

I see a problem with the pmac kernel image already.  It is still building
loop blk support as a module (prep and chrp build into the kernel) and
the installer no longer places it on the root disk to insmod during install.

I will have to make new kernel image packages (which I was going to do
anyway for some new prep patches) and then I'll create a test image you can
try out.  Alternately, anyone can do the same if they are so inclined.
I'm leaving on vacation for 5 days.  Good luck.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com