Re: [Q] Upgrading the kernel to run MOL (revisited..)

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 09:02:40AM -0600, Charles Sebold wrote:
> On 27 Shevat 5761, wcrowshaw@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Problem is that I ran into a build problem that i can't figure
> > out. I searched the archives and found no similar compile problem.
> > Compile fails, and I think it has something to do with missing
> > headers.  Here's the beginning of the stderr output.  --
>
> As Ethan pointed out, binutils-dev is your friend.  (I think I also
> needed libncurses5-dev or something like that; give it a shot first,
> though.)
>
> Hey, is there any way to get a history of what you've installed using
> dpkg, and when you installed it?  (Then I could have remembered
> precisely what I had to install when doing this, a few weeks back.)
> I'm new to Debian (but I'm never going back, believe me).

i don't think you can get that precise of an audit trail, but you can
save your entire package selection list like so:

dpkg --get-selections \* > selections

if you update and backup this file when you add/remove packages you
can easily restore a newly installed debian system to the exact state
it was (sans configuration files you changed) by running:

dpkg --set-selections < selections
apt-get dselect-upgrade

the \* ensures you get all the listings, even removed packages.  that
way any packages you removed from the source system are removed from
the target system as well.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/