Re: [Q] Upgrading the kernel to run MOL (revisited..)

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 02:44:37PM -0600, Charles Sebold wrote:
> On 24 Shevat 5761, wcrowshaw@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> I am happily running MOL right this minute with 2.2.18 and potato.
>
> I don't think I would ever upgrade my kernel without compiling it
> myself, by the way.  Too likely to bring about troubles like you
> describe.  Compiling your own kernel isn't that difficult either.  If
> you tell the list what your hardware is perhaps some kind soul will
> send you a .config file for the kernel build that will match (I've got
> an 8600 and I think most of you people are NewWorld users these
> days).
> --
> Charles Sebold
> --

I compiled my first debian kernel 2.2.18 (yipee) and installed.

Then I download the mol sources 0.9.53 (the same source which made the rpm
that, when installed, claimed I need kernel 2.4.0.)

Problem is that I ran into a build problem that i can't figure out. I searched
the archives and found no similar compile problem.   Compile fails, and I
think it has something to do with missing headers.  Here's the beginning
of the stderr output.
--

++ BUILDING ++
Entering '/usr/src/mol-0.9.53/debugger'

--end of excerpt

The error message goes on for some lines, but I think those follow from the
headers the compiler said it was missing: sysdep.h, ansidecl.h, dis-asm.h.

(dis-asm.h) comes in the include directory of the mol source, yet the makefile
doesn't seem to be able to find it.

any clues about the other files, and what going wrong here?

thanks
--
wcrowshaw