Re: XFree 4.0.2 on Pismo

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:25:29AM -0800, Grant Miller wrote:

> I've made another attempt to get XF 4.0.2 running on my G3 Powerbook (Pismo).
>
> I downloaded the 4.0.2-4 deb packages from the pool area and installed those.
>
> I'm running kernel version 2.4.2-pre3 (airport and sound works!)
>
> I have "video=aty128fb:vmode:10:depth:8:" in my /etc/yaboot.conf
>
> My XF86Config is at http://www.unixguru.org/~grant/XF86Config.txt
>

> When I start X up, I get a wierd plasma looking screen with changing colors.
> I can't kill X with Ctrl-Alt-Delete.  I have to power the powerbook off :(

Here I am, replying to my own mail...

I have fixed my problem.  For some strange reason, X was looking at
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4, not /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Once I figured that out, I
copied my XF86Config to XF86Config-4 and things worked a little better.

I've updated http://www.unixguru.org/~grant/XF86Config.txt to what I'm
currently using.

X now starts up and displays nicely (had to up the color depth to 24) and
it's *fast*.  No more choppy dragging of xterms around.

One thing that is almost a show-stopper is the fact that the text in xterms
and mozilla is distorted.  I'll have to play around with xvidtune to see if
that fixes things.

In case people are curious, I'll post my kernel config for 2.4.2-pre3 so
more of us can start using 2.4.

--Grant Miller   grant at unixguru dot org