Re: What kernel to use?

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:14:41AM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> But I'm afraid I have to disagree about 2.2.18.  Here are the Debian 2.2.18pre21 .config
> sections:

[eb@socrates eb]$ uname -a
Linux socrates 2.2.18 #1 Wed Dec 13 19:21:15 AKST 2000 ppc unknown

im using the new input layer too.  i will make my config available to
anyone who asks.

> #
> # USB HID
> #
> CONFIG_USB_HID=y
> CONFIG_USB_WACOM=y
> CONFIG_USB_WMFORCE=m
> CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
> CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV=m
> CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
>
> #
> # Mac device drivers
> #
> CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID=y
> CONFIG_MAC_HID=y
> CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y
> CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y
> CONFIG_PPC_RTC=y
> CONFIG_MAC_FLOPPY=y
> CONFIG_MAC_SERIAL=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y

these parts look ok.

i have the following disabled:

# CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_WMFORCE is not set
# CONFIG_MAC_FLOPPY is not set
# CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE is not set

> "ADB" and "HID" don't exist anywhere else in the config.
>
> And here's the build error with stock 2.2.18 from kernel.org:
>
> cc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.18/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -D__powerpc__ -fsigned-char -msoft-float -pipe
> -fno-builtin -ffixed-r2 -Wno-uninitialized -mmultiple -mstring   -c -o mac_hid.o
> mac_hid.c
> mac_hid.c: In function `mac_hid_sysctl_keycodes':
> mac_hid.c:296: structure has no member named `ppc_kbd_sysrq_xlate'
> mac_hid.c:303: structure has no member named `ppc_kbd_sysrq_xlate'
> make[4]: *** [mac_hid.o] Error 1

i had this when my kernel configuration was bogus.  if you would like
to try my .config let me know, it will compile with stock 2.2.18.  i
use the tree as i do on my x86 boxes.

> This is not a link error, and I fail to see what config "error" is causing it...

the kernel configuration system is crap, i had a similer problem
because the old adb drivers were not properly disabled.  i had to
reconfigure the kernel in two seperate runs to get the
misconfiguration removed.  once i did that the kernel compiled fine.

> Sure, it's trivial to fix, but the fact remains that stock 2.2.18 does not build
> out-of-box.

that is not a fact at all.

> Furthermore, if one can generate a config using "make config" which fails to build or
> link or boot or otherwise function perfectly in any way, is that not a kernel bug?  The
> config system should disallow any improper build options for the (sub)arch selected,
> right?

the config system is broken and won't be fixed until 2.5.  (it can't
be fixed only replaced, its a big pile of donkey dung)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/