Re: What kernel to use?

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 07:39:42AM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > > stick with 2.2.18, its stable from mainline, requires no patching, no
> > > bk, no rysnc crap.
> >
> > Actually, stock 2.2.18 from kernel.org does *NOT* build without patches, if you
> > build with the new input layer (i.e. with the Debian .config).  The thing to do is
> > probably to get kernel-source-2.2.18pre21, kernel-patch-2.2.18pre21-powerpc, and
> > kernel-package, and build using make-kpkg so it automatically ptaches.
>
> rubbish, i am running 2.2.18 from ftp.kernel.org unpatched *with* the
> new input layer and it compiles and functions just fine.  perhaps the
> debian config is broken, if you don't select the right adb driver the
> kernel does fail to link, but that is a configuration issue not a code
> issue.

Hmm.  I think we agree that it is much better in principle to be able to use the stock
tree.  I share your disdain for the need to patch or rsync what is supposedly a "stable"
kernel.

But I'm afraid I have to disagree about 2.2.18.  Here are the Debian 2.2.18pre21 .config
sections:

#
# USB HID
#
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_WACOM=y
CONFIG_USB_WMFORCE=m
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV=m
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y

#
# Mac device drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID=y
CONFIG_MAC_HID=y
CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y
CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y
CONFIG_PPC_RTC=y
CONFIG_MAC_FLOPPY=y
CONFIG_MAC_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y

"ADB" and "HID" don't exist anywhere else in the config.

And here's the build error with stock 2.2.18 from kernel.org:

cc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.18/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -D__powerpc__ -fsigned-char -msoft-float -pipe
-fno-builtin -ffixed-r2 -Wno-uninitialized -mmultiple -mstring   -c -o mac_hid.o
mac_hid.c
mac_hid.c: In function `mac_hid_sysctl_keycodes':
mac_hid.c:296: structure has no member named `ppc_kbd_sysrq_xlate'
mac_hid.c:303: structure has no member named `ppc_kbd_sysrq_xlate'
make[4]: *** [mac_hid.o] Error 1

This is not a link error, and I fail to see what config "error" is causing it...

Sure, it's trivial to fix, but the fact remains that stock 2.2.18 does not build
out-of-box.

Furthermore, if one can generate a config using "make config" which fails to build or
link or boot or otherwise function perfectly in any way, is that not a kernel bug?  The
config system should disallow any improper build options for the (sub)arch selected,
right?

-Adam P.