Re: help

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 06:42:58PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > 2) debian CDs are not and won't be bootable on OldWorld hardware in
> > the forseeable future.  (until someone writes an Oldworld bootloader
> > that does not require proprietary Apple drivers)
>
> Why? We have miBoot.  Won't that work on a CD?

miboot requires proprietary apple drivers, which are only available
with a proprietary macos CD burning software, and macos is of course
proprietary.  this is unacceptable to Debian which is made up of only
Free Software.

> OK, call me ignorant, but it would be cool of installing linux on a Mac was as
> easy as MacOS is to get started.  Pop in MacOS 8.0 in a m68k to a 6500 and
> you're set, 8.5 or higher for newer macs.

GNU/Linux is not macos and never will be.   (nor should be)

> I've been using linux on x86 for a couple years, and at the very worst, you need
> a floppy, and an ethernet/modem to install the base system.

yup, on oldworld you need a floppy.  miboot works on floppies not
CDs.  (unless you have proprietary software)

> miBoot works on hard drives, right?  Maybe you can point me at some docs...

miboot is very clunky and difficult to setup, its not reccommened or
supported for disk booting.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/