success on 500MHz G4

Hi,

I would like to share how I got debian 2.2 rev0 on a Mac G4. It was, more
or less, as in the installation manual. The Mac has a DVD RAM drive.

1) Copy a MacOS System Folder and whatever else you want to keep in
   MacOS on a DVD initialised with Disk Setup. Make it the Startup
   Disk. Make sure that after the Mac boots off the DVD no files are
   still used from the hard disk. Use Disk Setup to set up at least two
   partitions, the first will be used for Debian in the installer.

2) Boot off the Debian CD, type at the boot prompt:
   boot: debian video=ofonly

   This boots without trying to use the video card.

3) Go as usual through the installer. Partition the first MacOS
   partition with mac-fdisk (started by the installer for you) according
   to your needs, don't forget to create a Apple_Bootstrap partition
   first. Check out the mac-fdisk tutorial for details.

4) AFAIK, there is no need for additional modules at this stage, in fact
   trying to insert SCSI modules caused a kernel panic.

5) Eventually you get to the "Make Linux Bootable ..." stage. Follow the
   installation manual and SKIP this step. Now we need to deal with
   yaboot. The long mkofboot command on pg. 45 didn't work, because there
   is no ofboot.b script at this stage. I resorted to mounting the debian
   CD and copying install/powermac/ofboot.b to /boot/ofboot.b and
   yaboot.conf to /etc/yaboot.conf and editing the two scripts. The
   yaboot/ybin tutorial helps a lot. Basically, I changed the line in
   ofboot.b

boot cd:,\\whatever

boot hd:n,yaboot   # n=partition number of your bootstrap partition

   and yaboot.conf to point to your bootstrap and / partitions:

default=debian
macos=hd:m         # m= partition number of MacOS boot partition
boot=/dev/hdan     # n= partition number of bootstrap partition
ofboot=hd:n        #  "
device=hd:
install=/boot/yaboot
magicboot=/boot/ofboot.b

image=/vmlinux
        label=debian
        root=/dev/hdl         # l= partition number of / partition
        partition=l           # "
        read-only
        append="video=ofonly" # get around broken video support

   Once /boot/ofboot.b and /etc/yaboot.conf are ok, run the command

mkofboot -v

   it will install the bootloader in the bootstrap partition.

6) Reboot! Proceed with installation from the CD.

7) Set up /boot/ofboot.b and /etc/yaboot.conf again, since the ones you
   made in the installer got lost over the reboot. Run mkofboot -v again
   and reboot again to make sure all is fine.

Holding down the "Alt" key during boot will bring up a screen where you
can choose between MacOS and Debian by clicking icons. Really cool!

The line in /boot/ofboot.b

boot hd:m   # m=partition number of MacOS boot partition

will make MacOS the default.

Cheers and good luck! Stefan

---Stefan Kluth---------------Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter-----------
-  MPI fuer Physik         -  phone:  +49 89 32354 468  -      OPAL&  -
-  Foehringer Ring 6       -  fax:    +49 89 32354 305  -      ATLAS  -
---D-80805 Munich, Germany----e-mail: skluth@mppmu.mpg.de--------------