Re: touble making Power Mac 7200 boot directly into Linux

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 01:59:37PM +0200, Michael Lyngbøl wrote:

> Reading nvsetenv(8) it should be something like:
>
> # nvsetenv boot-device "scsi-int/sd@0:0"
> # nvsetenv boot-file " /vmlinux root=/dev/sda2"

you need to use scsi/sd@0:0 not scsi-int (from looking at Dan's
machine)

boot-file is redunant if your quik.conf is correct.

> No luck. When rebooting the screen just stays blank and I'll have to
> reset using control-apple-r-p

you may have to connect a serial terminal to see what errors are being
displayed

> Which partition am I suppose to use in "scsi-in/sd@0:x"?

0 means use the bootblock of the bootable partition, quik makes your /
partition bootable and installs the bootblock there.  i think you can
specify the root partition if you want but its not necessary to do it
that way. (never hurts to try though)

> Has anybody here been able to boot directly into linux on a Mac PowerPC
> 7200?

a friend of mine has, and is, however we have been unable to get it to
boot kernel 2.2.15 (don't remember if we tried 16 or not) (its running
2.2.14 now)

before dan yells at me again ;p its not universal about kernels past
2.2.14 failing with quik, there does seem to be something in the
change from 14->15 that is causing more problems.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/