Re: XF4 lacks GL and Shape Extension? was: getting an adb mouse workingwith xserver-fbdev

unit3 wrote:

> 1) gdm loads fine, but when I actually log in Enlightenment complains that:
> "This X server does not support the Shape extension.
> This is required for Enlightenment to run.
>
> You Xserver is probably too old or misconfigured."

Add the line

    Load	"extmod"

to the XF86Config Module Section.

> 2) when running any of the xscreensaver 3d GL hacks, it gives an
> error message that there's no GLX module for the current screen.

The XFree86 installation has overwritten /usr/lib/libGL.* . The new versions
use GLX to have the server render the GL stuff.

> In any event, is there just currently no GL support for the Mach64 chips, or
> do I have to manually install it, or what?

There is no 3D hardware acceleration (DRI) for Mach64 yet, development on it
has just been started.

There is built-in GLX software rendering, to enable that, add the line

    Load	"glx"

to the XF86Config Module Section.

However, this doesn't offer any performance gain over Mesa (the only
difference is that you can use GLX over network, but who needs that?), so you
may want to re-install your mesa package(s) instead, which would happen the
next time they get upgraded anyway.

> 2b) I noticed on the XFree86.org site, that the voodoo2 is currently
> listed as being supported for acceleration (I assume that means 3d
> acceleration) via the glide driver. However, even though glide is now
> opensource, I've never seen a ppc version of the package for linux,
> and compiling from the source always fails miserably (seems to be
> doing some i386 dependant stuff). Is anyone attempting to port this,
> or is it not really a priority right now?

Kostas Gewrgiou <gewrgiou@imbc.gr> is the man you want to talk to about this.

Basically, he's got it working with a few hacks and quirks and is currently
working to get the necessary changes cleanly into the kernel and XFree86/DRI.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project