XF4 lacks GL and Shape Extension? was: getting an adb mouse working with xserver-fbdev

At 5:07 PM -0500 8/21/2000, Will Dukes wrote:
In other words, I got the xserver to work with very little tweaking.
Here's what you need to do to get X running in debian with a powermac
that has an adb mouse/keyboard:

Even with your suggestions I couldn't get the XFree3 fbdev server to recognize my horizontal and vertical refresh rates (and believe me I tried a lot of different things), so I decided to compile XF4 from source.

I followed the instructions at http://linuxppc.org/usr/xf4/, which seemed to work pretty well (once I did an ldconfig after installing). It (so far) seems to be a little faster, but I haven't had much chance to test it (as will be explained in a second)

It (for some reason) didn't install an XF86Config file, but I just modified the one in /usr/share/doc/xserver-fbdev/examples/, and it loaded fine after following the directions given. The mouse worked the first time, and seems to be coexisting with GPM properly.

However, I've run into a few snags I'd like a hand with:

1) gdm loads fine, but when I actually log in Enlightenment complains that:
"This X server does not support the Shape extension.
This is required for Enlightenment to run.

You Xserver is probably too old or misconfigured."

Now, I'm pretty sure that the XF4 sources I just grabbed are not too old ;), so it must be a misconfiguration, but I don't have any idea what the cause of this is or how to fix it. Ideas?

2) when running any of the xscreensaver 3d GL hacks, it gives an error message that there's no GLX module for the current screen. I seem to remember that GLX is the new builtin GL system in XF4, but I could be wrong. In any event, is there just currently no GL support for the Mach64 chips, or do I have to manually install it, or what?

2b) I noticed on the XFree86.org site, that the voodoo2 is currently listed as being supported for acceleration (I assume that means 3d acceleration) via the glide driver. However, even though glide is now opensource, I've never seen a ppc version of the package for linux, and compiling from the source always fails miserably (seems to be doing some i386 dependant stuff). Is anyone attempting to port this, or is it not really a priority right now?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light. :)

Graeme
--
"It really is coming down to just Apple and IBM. If, for some reason, we make some giant mistake and IBM wins, my personal feeling is that we are going to enter sort of a computer Dark Ages for about 20 years."
Steve Jobs, Playboy February 1985