getting an adb mouse working with xserver-fbdev

I'm running Debian on a G3 powermac all-in-one with an adbmouse.  The mouse works fine in gpm, but
when I use X, it freezes.  More specifically, if I run X without a window manager or any
applications, the cursor will move some, but it sticks.  When I use only rxvt, the cursor sticks
much worse than before.  When I use icewm or wmaker, the mouse is completely frozen and nothing I
can do will make it even budge.

I read the earlier thread about stealing the Xpmac server from linuxppc, but I've actually gotten
the video and keyboard settings right in XF86Config for the FBDev server and I'd hate to have to
switch back to LinuxPPC again if I can help it.  By the way, all I had to do to get the video right
with fbdev was to run 'fbset -x' and insert the output of that into the monitor section of my
XF86Config file as a mode.  Otherwise, I used the default XF86Config file created when xserver-fbdev
was installed, rather than the one created by anXious, which was completely broken.

My current mouse settings are 'Protocol "BusMouse"' 'Device "/dev/adbmouse"' which are the settings
I gave gpm during its installation.  If anyone has had any success with getting adb mouses to work
in X or can think of something that would help, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Will Dukes