Re: Should we allow packages to depend on packages with lower priority values?

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:17:19PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> Let A and B both be packages that provide virtual package C. A is the
> default C in Debian, and is therefore Priority: important. A depends
> on E and F, which must be Priority: important as well, as required by
> current Policy.
>
> Now let's look at a system where the local administrator has decided
> to use B instead of A.

> Since E and F are Priority: important, dselect
> happily proceeds to install E and F on the system, even if they are
> not needed since the system in question uses B instead of A.

Now let's consider what happens if they've already installed the system,
with A, and hence E and F. The run dselect, or apt-get, or even dpkg, and
install B, remove A and are left with B, E and F.

If that's not what's desired, your dependencies are wrong.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004