Re: [rms@gnu.org: Free Software Needs Free Documentation]

Hi,
>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 05:28:45PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> I personally would not like to allow a standard I create to be
 >> readily modifiable, for what that matters. If you got ideas, feed 'em
 >> to me -- and I see about getting them into the standard.

 Marcus> Mmmh. I consider the Debian Policy documents to set
 Marcus> standards, too. They are free, nevertheless there is no fear
 Marcus> about them.

	If they are, we are the authors. We can choose whatever
 licence we choose -- and we have put it under the GPL. )Hmm. Mayeb we
 should rethink that after we finish this discussion.

 Marcus> I can understand that people have that fear, but I think it
 Marcus> is not substantiated (at least within the free osftware
 Marcus> community), and therefore should not be taken into account in
 Marcus> this discussion.

	Not so. Our fears of trojan horses have never been
 instantiated. Our fears about people destroyin our CVS data have
 never been instantiated. Does that mean we do not plan and take
 precautions? This is a groundless argument.

 Marcus> Some people are frightened about their software, too, and
 Marcus> forbid disassembling etc. We don't allow this software in
 Marcus> main.

	We have a reason. It has to do with sharing. It has to do with
 being able to see what is going on, and not being locked in to a
 vendor. Part of that does not apply to documents, and the sharing
 aspect is actually enhanced if we can trust we all follow the same
 standard, not w locally modified version of what used to be a common
 but is not more standard.

 >> No, I'm not. What I am saying is that I can see authors not
 >> wanting their baby to be modified and distorted, and releasing
 >> standards under no-modification-or-translation terms, and I do not
 >> see this as a threat to the community, indeed, it is not even
 >> detrimental.

 Marcus> It is okay for authors to think and act this way, but I don't
 Marcus> think we can distribute technical documents with this
 Marcus> restrict copyright in main.

	Reasons, please.

 Marcus> Example: Some people would not like to have bash scripts
 Marcus> ported to csh, because they consider csh scripts as
 Marcus> insecure. We don't allow authors to put restrictions like
 Marcus> that.

	This is not the same case at all (please try not to mix
 software examples into this, they just confuse the issue).

 Marcus> Just think of an author who thinks his work should not be
 Marcus> translated into <put any language here>, because he is a
 Marcus> rassist, or dislikes the language personally for whatever
 Marcus> reasons (maybe to annoy his neighbour). I don't think that is
 Marcus> acceptable.

	This is borderline. However, the resistance to translation
 could be that some things do not translate well (peotry is one). For
 some works of art, translation is artistic butchery. I can see why
 people may not want that to happen.

 >> As long as one may create a standard that borroes from the
 >> inital standard, but is distinct, and has a distinct name, I think it
 >> is OK to allow the document into main.

 Marcus> This comes closer to our needs. But now you are fleeing in
 Marcus> generalizations.  What do you mean with "borrow"? We can't
 Marcus> make policy with such vague terms, so we should keep on the
 Marcus> safe side with terms we have experiences with.

	Like your example licence borrowed heavily from the GPL. The
 GPL is not modifiable; but your license is likely to be allowed as
 long as it does not pretend to be the GPL.

	How about an original Graphic Novel? How about James Joyces
 "Ullyses"? Do you approve af people punctuating Joyce's books?

 >> I am not really talking about ideal licencing here (marcus and
 >> RMS and co are doing that). I am talking about wht I think is
 >> detrimental to the community, and shold not be in main, and what I
 >> think does not harm the community, and, IMHO, should be allowed into
 >> Debian.

 Marcus> I'm also not discussing perfect world here. Reality requires
 Marcus> clear terms. We have to decide if we want to allow
 Marcus> non-dfsg-free data entities at all, and when, which under
 Marcus> which additional restrictions.

	The discussion is a good start. But we have a long way to go
 before we can come up with something.

	manoj
--
 Five names that I can hardly stand to hear, Including yours and mine
 and one more chimp who isn't here, I can see the ladies talking how