Re: [rms@gnu.org: Free Software Needs Free Documentation]

Hi,

	I think I agree with parts of this, as far as they go, as long
 as it pertains to *technical documentation* of software, in which
 case, if I am permitted to modify the code, I can see why I should be
 permitted to modify the documentation to describe the changes in
 behaviour. So, I can see why one would want documentation for a DFSG
 free program to be also DFSG free.

	However, I do not think that standards 	documents (and
 possibly other categories [personal opinions come to mind]) benefit
 from being modifiable. In fact, making a modifiable document a
 standard undermines the validity and acceptance of the standard,
 since one never knows what one is agreeing to.

	Other issues of concern: Translations, and re-ormatting into a
 a different presentation format or conversion into a different
 encoding (for some documents the layout and presentation maybe very
 important).

	If we are looking to reuse the DFSG, I think items 1 (Free
 Redistribution) and 4-9 are perfectly fine; I even think that 2
 (asking for source code -- preffered form of the document for
 modification) is OK.

	The problem lies with Derived works. (Would I like a derived
 work of the ANSI C Standard? Sounds like what MS does)

	manoj
--
 This sentence contradicts itself -- no actually it doesn't. Douglas
 Hofstadter