Re: "Minor" changes to libconfig-inifiles-perl package (and including new upstream version)

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 07:29:57PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
>On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 03:58:49PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 03:05:48PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
>> >Just updated also compat version for the packaging and dependency to
>> >debhelper (>= 7),
>>
>> I have now reverted this, as I see no benefit from restricting beyond
>> v6, and the newer version makes backporting harder.
>>
>> The dependency for debhelper 6 was too loose, however.  This was
>> recently fixed in CDBS, and I updated the locally shipped CDBS
>> snippet to include cleanup for that as well).
>
>Ok, so I'm sorry about the unthought change.

No need to be sorry!

We are a team.  And we interact through a revision control system.

Very few actions are fatal, and what you did was fine, even if it turned
out that I disagree with some of it (and, so far, I have strongest
argument backing up my opinion).

My guess is that you noticed a lintian warning about build-dependency
being too old for debhelper 6, and while at it you bumped to the even
newer version 7.  Nothing wrong with that approach.

I am just telling you that I happen to "know better" in this particular
case.  Which should not be interpreted as "don't try such thing again"
but rather "you did fine, here's how to do it even finer".

...and I might not even be right - which is the reason I quote "know
better" above.  Or I might be right but others might be even "more
right" than me.  That's one of the things we might reveal by having this
conversation on this mailinglist rather than in private :-)

>I must admit to not be really familiar with cdbs, since the preferend
>"way" to package for new maintainers is to not use such a "complex"
>system.

CDBS adds a layer, and each layer (be it dpkg, debhelper, CDBS or
whatever) simplifies some things while complicating others.  Ideally the
things it complicates are the irrelevant ones.

In this concrete case, CDBS did not complicate nor simplify choice of
debhelper version.  If you knew how, CDBS would help resolve the exact
build-dependency based on contents of the debian/compat file.  But if
you did not know that, it would not complicate anything either.

Yes, you noticed and updated the control.in file which is CDBS-specific.
But you did not need to do that, that file is only relevant to those
that know how to use it.

Here's how to use it, for the example of bumping to debhelper 7:

  1) change debian/compat from "6" to "7"

  2) run "DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE=1 debian/rules clean"

  3) run "svn diff" to verify and correct any disaster

(and whoops, CDBS would actually fail in that case - I just discovered a
bug in its dh7 handling which I do not use much yet)

>> >and Bump'ed Standards-Version to the current policy 3.8.1.
>>
>> The package is not currently compliant with that version: Source package
>> lacks a README.source describing unusual packaging routines.
>>
>> I will add such file that I have already prepared at
>> git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/cdbs-skel.git
>
>Ok so the Standards-Version is preferend to bump only after all
>possible changes are checked!

Correct: Standards-Version is a way to signal that "to the best of my
knowledge, this package complies with this version of Debian Policy".

A very nice piece of documentation when bumping Standards-Version is
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz  :-)

>> >N: Processing binary package libconfig-inifiles-perl (version 2.49-1) ...
>> >W: libconfig-inifiles-perl: manpage-has-errors-from-pod2man usr/share/man/man3/Config::IniFiles.3pm.gz:966
>> >N:
>> >N:    This man page contains a section "POD ERRORS" generated by pod2man. This
>> >N:    sections lists errors in the POD syntax found by pod2man during the
>> >N:    generation of the man page.
>> >N:
>> >N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
>>
>> Agreed, this would be nice to have fixed.  Help appreciated.
>
>I cannot promise, but since I'm really interestend to try to help on
>this package I will try to have a look at it!

no need to promise anything.  I wasn't speaking only to you when
requesting help - also to the others on this list - or at least those
that didn't loose interest as soon as they realized that this was a CDBS
package :-P

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --